YOUR ONE STOP SOURCE
Our goal is to make your relocation or
expansion project seamless. Here you
will find links to all the resources you will
· County/City Permitting
· Employee Training
· State and Local Agencies
· Small Business Training
Click on a resource link listed to your right
to be directed to the agency of your choice.
State & Regional Support
Central Florida Regional Planning Council (CFRPC)
The Central Florida Regional Planning Council (CFRPC) is a planning and public policy agency that works with public and private leadership in the Central Florida Region to achieve a healthy and sustainable future.
Enterprise Florida (eFlorida)
Enterprise Florida, Inc. helps innovative, high growth businesses start up, locate or expand in Florida.
Florida Heartland Regional Economic Development Initiative (FHREDI)
Florida's Heartland REDI, Inc. (FHREDI) provides economic development coordination to businesses interested in expanding or relocating to inland, South Central Florida.
CareerSource Heartland offers workforce development opportunities for businesses and job seekers in DeSoto, Hardee, and Highlands Counties.
Small Business Development Center at South Florida State College of Business
Florida SBDC at University of South Florida
Located at South Florida State College
The Florida Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at University of South Florida, located at South Florida State College, assists existing and emerging businesses in Highlands county, through no-cost confidential business consulting, information, and low-cost training. Seeking advice on growing an established business? Our professionally credentialed consultants have the real-world experience and expertise to help you make the right business decisions. Our consultants' expertise focuses on areas that are vital to owning and operating a successful business, including:
• strategic market research
• market expansion and revenue growth
• business and strategic plan development
• access to capital and loan packaging assistance
• financial analysis and assessment
• accounting systems and financial literacy
• feasibility analysis and start-up assistance.
No-cost specialized services available for qualified businesses looking to accelerate market growth:
• Growth Acceleration provides in-depth business assessments and strategic planning for qualified businesses to develop sustainable growth strategies.
• Export Marketing Plans position qualified manufacturing small businesses in Florida who are “new-to-export” to identify growth strategies through the development of specialized plans.
•Government Contracting assists established businesses to expand by reaching new markets through federal, state and local government contracting.
• Small Business Certification could present growth opportunities for your woman, minority, or Veteran-owned business.
To schedule an appointment with a certified business consultant today, visit http://sbdctampabay.com/highlands/ or call 863.784.7378.
Board of County Commissioners
Official site for the Highlands County Board of County Commission, departments and elected officials.
Clerk of Courts
City of Avon Park
Local information for the City of Avon Park, FL, including city departments for permitting, zoning, utilities, business licenses, City Council information and the Avon Park Airport Authority.
Town of Lake Placid
Local information for the Town of Lake Placid, FL, including city departments for permitting, zoning, utilities, business licenses and City Council information.
City of Sebring
Local information for the City of Sebring, FL, including city departments for permitting, zoning, utilities, business licenses and City Council information.
Sebring Regional Airport Authority
Sebring Regional Airport & Commerce Park is easily accessible to the vast state and federal highway network and is located within 90 miles of six international airports, including Tampa and Orlando. The heart of Central Florida, the 2,000-acre park is conveniently situated within a 150-mile radius of 85 percent of the state’s population. Sebring has been named in the State Aviation System Plan as the growth airport for South Central Florida. Already home to Sebring International Raceway, a premier sports car racing facility, the park is uniquely positioned to accelerate your business.
Education & Training
South Florida State College
South Florida State College offers a wide variety of Corporate and Community education on top of their regular Associates and Bachelorette programs.
Additional Resource Links
Florida Dept. of Revenue – By County
• Sales tax data by kind code
• Sales tax
• Tourism tax
• Fuel Tax
US Census - American Fact Finder
• Demographics – Population, Income, Housing, etc.
• Business and Industry Data
US Census – County Business Patterns – 1998 to 2009
• Industry Business Patterns by NAICS code
• Able to drill down to 6 digit NAICS codes
• Data tables for states, zip codes, metro & micro statistical areas
• Business payroll, total establishments, establishments by employment
US Census – OnTheMap
• Analyze where workers live and where workers work
• Data by states, counties, places, zip codes, Census tracts, block groups, etc.
• Able to import and export shape files
• Labor Market Segmentation by age, wage, products produced
• Distance and direction from select area
Florida Dept. of Economic Opportunity - Labor Market Statistics Center
• Current employment & unemployment data
• Industry and occupation projections
• Occupational Wage Data – total employment, mean-median-entry-exp hourly wages by MSA
Florida Research & Economic Information Database (FREIDA) – by state, county, MSA or workforce board
• Employment & Wage data by industry
• Employment Projections
• Occupational wage, projection, and licensing requirements
• Unemployment data
• Income- median family, median household, per capita, total personal
Office of Economic & Demographic Research, Florida Legislature
• Population estimates & projections by county 1970-2030
• Municipality population estimates for 2008
• County Profiles
• County Crime Profile
• Data – Franchise, fuel, impact fees, alcoholic beverage license tax, sales tax, etc.
FDIC – RECON (Regional Economic Conditions)
• State, county, city, metro & micro statistical area data
• Employment & unemployment
• Labor force
• Per capita income and median family income
• Personal bankruptcy filings
Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation –
Downloadable file for regulated industries
• Alcoholic beverages/tobacco, Architecture, Interior Design, Asbestos
• Athlete Agents, Auctioneers, Barbers, Building Code Inspectors, CPA’s
• Community Assoc. Managers, Condominiums, Timeshares, Mobile Homes
• Construction, Cosmetology, Electrical Contractors, Elevators
• Employee Leasing, Engineers, Examination Services, Geologists
• Labor Organization, Landscape Architecture, Lodging, Pari-Mutual Wagering
• Pilot Comm., Real Estate, Restruatants/Food Service, Talent Agencies,
• Unlicensed Activities, Veterinary Medicine
• 2000 Census data by state, MSA and county.
• Produces charts, maps and rankings
Florida Charts – County level data
• Social, health, disease and behavioral demographics
• Birth and deaths data
• Injury and violence data
Florida Department of Health
• Florida Vital Statistics Annual Reports
• Population, births, deaths, pregnancy
Florida Department of Education 2008-2009
• Data by school, district or state then by type of school
• Absences, school staff, enrollment, FCAT scores, etc.
U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) Locator Service
• Map your community by community projects, housing and environmental
• Locate Renewal Community, Empowerment and Enterprise Zones
• Search by address
SBA HUB Zone Program – Zone Locator
• Search by address or by county
• Produces an interactive map and list of qualifying census tracts
SBA – TECH-Net
• Searchable data base of SBIR/STTR grant receipts
• Search by name, city, zip code, awarding agency, minority/woman owner etc.
US Dept. of Vetern Affairs – National Center for Veteran Analysis and Statistics
• Data by state and county
• Veteran population
• Expenditures totals for compensation/pensions, construction,
education/employment/vocational/rehabilitation/employment, loan guaranty, insurance, and medical care
• Index to all Federal government departments and agencies.
• Search federal contractors by state, congressional district, or agency
• List results by contractor/grant awardee or by transaction
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) – 2005 to Current
• County to County migration
• Number of tax filers
• Number of exemptions
• Total adjusted gross income
Social Security – Program Statistics
• Data by state, county, congressional district and zip code
• Wages/ Salary and self employed earnings
• Tax contributions
• OASDI beneficiaries and benefits
• SSI recipients by aged, blind/disabled and total amount of payments
Florida Department of Management Services – Office of Supplier Diversity
• One stop site for certified minority, woman and disable veteran businesses
• Links to MBE coordinators for county/school districts, U.S. Dept. of Commerce – Minority
Florida Housing Data Clearinghouse – University of Florida
• Data for MSA, county and cities
• Median sale price, number of sales, sales by type of property, sale of investment homes
• Household cost burdens & Household Income by Area Median Income (AMI)
• Elderly and person with disabilities cost burden
• Household size and housing characteristics
• Tenure by age, income and cost burden (with projections)
• List of assisted living housing with characteristics, rents, housing programs
• Workforce wages & rental cost by industry and by occupation
• Loans by type and purpose, loans by race, denials
• Loan delinquency rate and foreclosures by type loan
• Union membership and coverage by MSA
Florida Oceans and Coastal Council
• Reports on marine recreation, imports/exports, seafood, commercial & pleasure water vessels,
tourism, beach nourishment, ports, etc.
• Data at county level and some at city level
National Center for Charitable Statistics
• County level summary data and individual public & private charities and foundations
• Number of organizations
• Revenues and assets
Reference USA – Available at most public libraries
• Free business directory
• Search by NAICS code, county, city, zip code or radius